Monday, August 11, 2008

Movie Marathon + Acer recovery



wow...5:45am again

Here are the movies I've watched in a row to kill time during the recovery process, to me it makes repairing computers a little worthwhile:
  • Kungfu Panda (awesome)
  • 10,000 BC (Blah but the little girl is cute)
  • The 11th Hour (wtf that was Leonardo?! he's fat!)
  • Jarhead (mother-fudging OOORAH!)
Status on ACER self repair
  • format successful
  • critical components online
  • all drivers working
  • no more virus blocking access to external discs
  • windows service pack 3 successfu
I did this on my own because I didn't want to drag my sorry ass to ACER's center and tell them the recovery discs no longer work. Therefor sans the Acer bundled system restore discs(which came with the laptop but no longer work maybe the discs' life died out), I labored through the morning to manually install a fresh copy windows XP from the original OEM disc itself (I luckily found in a basement) plus downloaded the drivers one by one from the Acer Europe site. By doing that I able to:
  • bypass the start up spyware process
  • permanently delete the virus
  • restore the dvd drive
  • Have absolutely no crapware (0% and counting!)
There you have it, a family first to do something so stupid but it seemed like the only way to get back everything. In tact. There is no secret ingredient. The problem I see right now is Kaspersky still not being able to detect the pen virus. So at this time I have not plugged ANY pen drive into the laptop.. yet. Now comes the sad part; slowing my system to a crawl by restoring all the adobe stuff. :( Should I re-install live messenger now..? Maybe one more movie first..

No comments: