Wednesday, August 13, 2008

4 PC games to play before you die

Dune2

runner ups: Age of Empires II, Command and Conquer 3, Starcraft, Warcraft III The Frozen Throne, Rise of Nations, Ground Control, Emperor Battle for Dune, Dune 2000, Generals, Age of Mythology

The progenitor of real time strategy, the first game engine ever to introduce the fog of war, resource gathering, economy management and base design in an all-in-one facebook package, coupled based on one of the best Sci-Fi novel written by Frank Herbert. If it wasn't for this game there would be no Starcraft. This made me love playing chess with an AI and appreciate the necessity of trial and error. It was one of the first titles that transformed me from a lowly average joe to an acclaimed General with leadership skills unprecedentedly unchallenged, the units I commanded did what I ordered them to do without question. My question was, "Enemy unit Approaching" was removed from Command and Conquer. It perplexes me deeply to this day.

Sid Mier's Civilization II

runner ups: Master of the Orion II, Civilization III, Civilization IV

If there was one game preventing me from getting any sleep at night, this is the number one culprit. I've always loved politics but never in my life had been blessed to rule a nation with an iron first. But now I fudging get it. For those of you who always had a "what if" (insert something irrational like: Egypt complete the Manhattan Project and the Apollo Program) ideology, look no further than this game to blow the socks off your rotting birthday cake. Already in its 4th release I still feel that CivII was the peak and the greatest. Turn based Strategy at its best.

Simcity 2000

runner ups: Theme Park, Dungeon Keeper, Caesar III,IV

A game with no ending my peers would jeer, what's the point? Perfection. You played it because you wanted to make a difference in the world In a world. In ANY world. You created a city that you in your heart, wanted to live in. That's how you succeeded in city building games such as this timeless classic from MAXIS now owned by EA. For me it was two ways, A city of happiness and hope, everything is beautiful, or a city of efficiency, highest population, economy, etc. I would talk non-stop about this during classes on the laws of what makes an efficient RCI balance. A bleak example of artificial life; the ultimate thrill of 'growing something' This was like an RPG in some sort of a way. This too would keep me up all night. It wasn't funny.

Homeworld

runner ups: No competition. This game was EPIC.

Exiled from a terrible war from onslaught the brothers and sisters you once lived, you face near genocide when your followers violate a 4000 year old treaty forbidding the development of hyperspace technology. This was the mid-time of tears and bloodshed but ultimately the struggle of a the journey returning home. What made this extremely successful as illustrated from my earlier words is a no brainier; the plot was magnificently immersible. While Dune 2 provided the skeleton for RTS Homeworld introduced for the first time 3dRTS; your opponent can kick your ass from any angle and so can you. I think being a sci-fi spaceship fan, I lived my dream of commanding a fleet. The crew of Relic Entertainment has a place in my heart for ever.

World of Warcraft

Runner ups:Diablo, Ragnarok Online, and all the other countless MMOS I played.

Back in 1997 when Hong Kong was being handed back to China, I was in the catacombs with some Americans on a 28.8kps modem connection on my way to face the dark lord from some orange red like demon to slay the bugger. While Diablo was the first game that made me like the idea of an RPG, (in fact I never took interest in the Japanese styles of RPG until this game was released) I give many praises to Blizzard's Warcraft MMO for the ultimate finish. I believe World of Warcraft was the polished master piece since I've been playing it non-stop for four years now. The Koreans almost nailed me with Ragnarok but it just had no plot to keep me totally engrossed. WoW draws upon the rich lore from previous Warcraft stories, The most user friendly customizable interface, a first for any MMORPG and actually encourages the player to explore creative ways to solving a quest. Quests, another reason. A lot of MMORPGS get caught up in grinding but the quest system for experience in WoW is perfection that no other competition can beat. It could also be that in addition to being a Massive Multiplayer concept, you could do a lot of things on your own to advance in the game. I almost lost a few clients for playing it and actually had to quit for a while. I play in moderation now... Just to take my mind off things once in a while. I blame and praise the Moo brothers for their involvement of this transgression and blessing.

2 comments:

joys said...

ages of empires 1 > aoe 2 DEFINITELY >D

i dunno, i think the graphics in aoe 2 and 3 kinda sucks compared to aoe1!

Anonymous said...

Are you a freaking R-tard... 4 games to play before you die:

Dune 2 -> 1
civilization 2 -> 2
sim city 2000 -> 3
homeworld -> 4
world of warcraft -> 5... but WoW is cancer and you will die before you even play it... so yeah.. its basicly 4 games