Thursday, May 22, 2008

Assuming the role of a Main Tank

My perception to anyone who chooses to be a Tank, be it a Warrior, Paladin or even a druid has been warped like a coffee stained handkerchief left in a Vienna gutter for ten decades. The reason for this new face of opinion was tonight my guild appointed me to be the lead tank for Karazhan. The pressure was brink point intense; nine players expecting me to lead through a four hour marathon up a bluish black, rock levitating tower of ghosts. It's safe to say, chronic tanking experiences changes you to either two personality traits:

1) Arrogant, judgmental goal-getter, usually a loudmouth but you get the job done.

2) Stern silent and dead serious, easily agitated. But you pull your comrades through.

You're great but you're attitude is different. You think that healers and dpsers have all the luxury and leisure, you get pissed. Why the fuck do you have to work so hard while they stroll easy through the snow you're paving through? Here's the answer, the role of tanking are made for the super committed; you need to be very good at it, always be there for your guild and always execute every action with pin-point perfection. Duck dwelling will get your team whooped. And so I ask myself, do I want this kind of life? Is there any point in playing this game so hard and serious? Because really it might affect my personality in real life.

In the end come next expansion I will probably be retiring my role as a tank. Now there are Death Knights added to the mix with a promised proposition by the developers that tanks will be the new black. If that's going to be true, assuming a laid back position like a healer would be a better role to my already hectic life.

I could be a dps like a rogue or a mage but bah. No fucking challenge.

No comments: